Like a bear waking up from winter hibernation, Hatteras Island is coming back to life as we near closer to spring and warmer weather. College spring break has come and gone and now Easter and lower school spring break is about to be upon us. There are lots of fun events and happenings coming up and we’d like to tell you about them.
- Easter festivities begin on Saturday, April 12th with an Easter Egg Hunt at Hatteras United Methodist Church at 2pm.
- On Tuesday, April 15th check out the work of local artist at the Island’s Art Show held at the Rodanthe Community Center from 10a.m. to 5p.m.
- Beginning on Wednesday, April 16th at 2p.m. the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum will start their spring events with chef Sharron Peele Kennedy. She will demonstrate the art of preparing crabs during an event called “All About Crabs.” The events will go on throughout the summer so check their website for a complete schedule.
- The Easter festivities continue on Thursday, April 17th at Hatteras Realty. Bring your children out at 10a.m. for an Easter Egg Hunt, cookies, lemonade, kids games and activities…they will even get a chance to meet the Easter Bunny!
- On Friday, April 18th the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse once again opens its doors for visitors who are up to the challenge of climbing the 257 steps to the top.
- On Easter Sunday, April 20th, take a minute to experience the sunrise on Hatteras during one of three Sunrise Services held on the Island. The southernmost service will be held at the Old Lighthouse site in Buxton at 6:30a.m. The northernmost service will be held at the Chicomacomico Lifesaving Station at 6a.m. and if you prefer a more central location, you can attend the sunrise service at the Avon Pier at 6a.m.
- Beginning on April 25th at Frisco Woods Campground there is a 3 day windsurfing, kiteboarding and Standup Paddleboarding Festival called WindFest. Enjoy food, music, clinics and live music. This event is open to the public.
- Then get ready to put on your dancing shoes later that evening at The Beach Klub. The ‘Rock You Like a Hurricane’ event is sponsored by The Cape Hatteras Booster Club and is in association with Cape Hatteras Alumni. Enjoy live music, a BBQ dinner, raffles and a cornhole tournament.
- NC 12 Realty’s Coffee Shop Seminar – See What is Brewing in Real Estate. Beginning on April 28th at 9am (and every Monday and Wednesday morning throughout the season) stop by for some coffee and come participate in our beach home buying discussion. Learn what it takes to purchase your own piece of property on Hatteras Island. Can’t make it on Monday or Wednesday mornings? Give us a call and we’ll schedule an appointment to meet with you at your convenience.
April showers bring May flowers and lots of other fun things.
- The Hatteras Island Storytelling Festival begins on May 2nd and continues through May 4th. This event will be held at the Hatteras Civic Center and features local, regional and national storytellers, live music and food.
- On May 3rd is the Really, Really Free Market at the Fire House in Avon where you can donate items or do some free shopping.
- The Hatteras Village Offshore Open is May 13th through 17th. Cash prizes and trophies will be given out to 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners for the largest Marlin, Dolphin, Tuna and Wahoo.
- Get outside for a run on May 26th at the Shore Break 5K and Tide Pool ½ Mile Fun Run. This race benefits the Hatteras Island Youth Education Fund. It will begin at the Beach Klub in Avon and will wind through Kinnakeet Shores with the finish line back at The Beach Klub. The fun run takes place on the beach in front of The Beach Klub. Celebrate your accomplishment with a pancake breakfast and micro brews from Carolina Brewery (for the 21 and up crowd) at the post race party held afterwards.
- For those wind sport enthusiasts you won’t want to miss the Triple S Invitational May 31st – June 6th. Check out the worlds best kitboarders compete for the Triple S Crown. Each night of the competition will hold a party and live band on the back deck of REAL Watersports and Waterman’s Bar and Grill for spectators and competitors to enjoy.
As you can see there are lots of fun things to fill your calendar for an entertaining spring on Cape Hatteras. If you don’t already live here, grab your friends and family and head out to the Island. You won’t want to miss the great weather, the beach and all the awesome events that will be going on.